janeanne

Jane's reviews

Don't ask, Don't Tell

Don't Ask, Don't Tell - T.R. Stoddard Don’t Ask Don’t Tell by T.R. Stoddard

3 Stars

College student Rachel was looking for the perfect story to tell, so when she happened across an article about a new policy that some schools were adopting in order to stop any same sex relationships, she was so outraged that she decided to write her article about it. Disguised as a senior high school student Rachel goes under cover as Cassie and she soon sees first hand how shockingly discriminative the schools are acting

I did enjoy this story, the whole idea was interesting. I was so angry at the fact that schools could get away with ostracising minorities of any sort and that they were doing it so blatantly was just terrible. I also feel a bit like Cassie where I want to drum it into people that we have no right to judge, everyone should be allowed to be themselves…providing what they are doing doesn’t hurt anyone else, and I just don’t understand why everyone can’t have the ‘live and let live’ attitude.

It is a shame that this book was let down by silly typo’s, missing letters repeated sentences, unnatural dialogue and unrealistic content. ‘You’ instead of ‘your,’ ‘as’ instead of ‘was,’ ‘through’ instead of ‘threw’ and ‘kept’ instead of ‘crept’ to name but a few…these kinds of errors are not acceptable or necessary in a published piece of work. There was a section where Zane was beaten-up by the bully, ‘Cryin’ Brian’ and was rescued by the ‘Goth’ boy Jeremy. This was fine until Jeremy went to the hospital with Zane and insisted on going home with him to stay the night in order to keep Zane awake because he had concussion (inaccurate medical info) and even though Zane has a four year old sister, their mum was happy to let an unknown (to any of them) seventeen year old boy stay in the house over night. Following that, within just a couple of days their mum says she loves Jeremy as if he were her own. It was just too…’unrealistic’! Where was this mums sense of safety for her home and her children and if the treatment for concussion was (which it isn’t) to keep the patient awake all night, then surely the mum would want to do that herself and not trust the task to a random teen she had never met before...Ugh?

It is not all bad, because if you choose to ignore these irritating editing issues and the odd far fetched content, some of the writing style has a nice and easy flow to it, the story is good and not all the dialogue is unnatural, just some of it, and it is this fact that makes the lack of editing irritate me more! Please just take it back, re-edit and turn your good book into a great book.

Copy supplied for review.