janeanne

Jane's reviews

Embrace: A Gryphon Series Novel

Embrace - Stacey Rourke 4.5*

ARC Release date :- June 1st 2012

Book two in the Gryphon series continues to follow Celeste and her siblings in their quest to save the world from demons who are trying to take over the spirit plane. Celeste is the ‘chosen one’….Kendall and Gabe her protectors, and together they soon learn that Barnabus; the demon they defeated in the first book was not the ‘leader’ like they were led to believe, instead he was actually answering to someone higher and the ‘unknown’ threat is still out there. Added to that there is a power struggle going on in the underworld and Celeste has to trust the ‘untrustable’ in her bid to succeed in her mission.

‘Embrace’ definitely has a more complicated plot than ‘Conduit’. The pace is faster and the theme is darker. There are new characters introduced and we have the added confusion of just who Celeste can and can’t trust. The introduction of Caleb was an unexpected move and who he actually turned out to be was a bit of a surprise. His ability to hide certain things from Celeste seemed odd considering she is an empathe and I was a little confused as to why she didn’t use this power more often now her life was in so much danger.

The cliff hanger at the end of Conduit left me with questions about a certain character and I assumed everything would be revealed in book two, but this was not the case. I only got half an answer and there was little mention of him in this book. I found it extremely frustrating that I have to wait for the next book to learn his fate and that the cliff-hanger at the end of Embrace is even more nail biting.

Stacey Rourke has a nice and easy writing style that is made more enjoyable by the
dry humour and witty & sarcastic comments. I like the natural dialogue and the ‘real’ feel that all the characters have. There were some plot turns that had me scratching my head but this didn’t take away the enjoyment for me. I hope I don’t have too long to wait for the next in the series and the answers that I am eager to find!

Copy supplied for an ‘honest’ review.

Have to say I loved this line from the book “Try throwing a verb in there, Alaina. Makes communication more effective.”