janeanne

Jane's reviews

The Last Great Wizard of Yden

The Last Great Wizard of Yden - S.G. Rogers The Last Great Wizard of Yden by S.G Rogers

3.5 stars

Jon’s sixteenth birthday doesn’t go according to plan after he witnesses his father being kidnapped and no-one believes what he saw. When the ring; a family heirloom that was passed down to Jon, begins to glow Jon realises that the stories he was told as a child were infact true and his father was in real danger. With the odds stacked against him Jon and a group of unlikely allies travel to Yden; another realm, in search of the missing man.

Last Great wizard is an entertaining YA fantasy story, it is A-typical of this genre bringing nothing really new or unique to the table. Jon the hero of the piece is a young teenager and together with a group of friends they enter a world they hadn’t known existed. The mission is to find Jon’s father who has been kidnapped and drained of his power by Efysian, another wizard in the Yden realm who wants all the power to be his. Most fantasy books follow a similar theme and I was slightly disappointed that there wasn’t anything ‘fresh’ to find here.

The story though slow to start did pick up pace once their adventure began. There was a whole collection of all things mystical and magical to build suspense and excitement and the writing style was comfortable and easy to get into. The characters were fully developed, with personality traits that were varied and interesting. I did enjoy this book it was a fairly quick read that didn’t drag, the descriptions were good and I could picture Jon’s artwork as I read (and I wish I had his talent!) I’m not sure if this is the start of a series or a one off book but I would happily read more work by this author.

Copy supplied for review