janeanne

Jane's reviews

Guardians Inc.: The Cypher (Guardians Incorporated)

The Cypher - Julian Rosado-Machain

3.5 stars

After his parents go missing Thomas has to move in with his Granddad, Morgan. A new home and a new school is not easy for a 16 year old and even though he tries to stay under the radar Thomas soon finds himself hauled in front of the vice principal (nicknamed ‘Killjoy’, for good reason) for fighting with three of the popular boys. Thomas and Morgan have an easy relationship and once Morgan decides to look for a job to keep himself occupied Thomas is eager to help, but what seems to be a simple librarian position soon turns out to be something more sinister and complicated.

I am not totally sure of the target age for this book, personally I would say it is more for older children than young adult, the writing style would possibly suit that age group best, as would the storyline. For me I found it a little slow to kick off, the opening pages were enough to grab me but it seemed to take a while to move on and I felt myself getting a little impatient. This may be an issue for the target group who need constant action to hold their attention. It does pick up pace as we get more into the story and as we learn about Thomas’ and Morgans ability.

The whole concept of the librarians being the guardians of every thing, good and evil from the beginning of time, is quite interesting and the fact that Thomas and Morgan are Cyphers who have the ability to read all text whatever the language was a novel skill that I wish I had!

Overall I found ‘Guardian inc: The Cypher’ to be a read that would be exciting for children up to around 14 years old who enjoy adventure fantasy stories.

Copy supplied for review