janeanne

Jane's reviews

My Skater Boy: X-Treme Boys Series Book 2 (Volume 2)

Mt. Whitney - Wilderness Press
The road to true love is never smooth and Rory and Hindley’s relationship takes some pretty hard beatings in this instalment of the X-Treme Boys series. Carrying on from where book #1 left us Hindley’s insecurities and lack of trust issues are not the only obstacles in this couples way, Rory has just as many hang-ups of his own driving a wedge between the pair. The tension really begins to build when Hindley learns of some of Rory’s demons and decides the only way to move forward is to come clean about her own past and prove to him that she too is not perfect.

Kay Manis touches on some very difficult subjects, from child abuse to rape and even dips a toe in the world of self-harming. I thought these scenes were written well and I was glad she took the time to include contacts for anyone who maybe affected by any of the areas she covered in the back of the book.

All that said, this is not a dark novel, I laughed out loud on more than one occasion and had a goofy grin on my face through much of the story. Some of the terminology used tickled me pink, especially in the bedroom scenes, which made a nice change from the crass and crude words included in so many novels just lately.

My Skater Boy is a romance with lots of drama and I will be pitching it to all my friends, everyone needs this kind of book in their lives! Rory and Hindley’s Journey may be ‘X Treme’ but I’ve enjoyed being lost in their world for the past few days and am going to miss them. I now eagerly await Dana and Peter’s story in the next book in the series Moto Boy coming in January 2014.

Copy supplied for review