janeanne

Jane's reviews

The Conduit (Gryphon, #1)

The Conduit (Gryphon, #1) - Stacey Rourke 4.5*

When Celeste, her brother Gabe and sister Kendall move in with their Grandma, little do they realise they are about to embark on the biggest adventure of their lives. Many, Many moons ago one of their ancestors had made a pact with a mythical creature (a Gryphon) and promised that no matter what and no matter when, their family would be willing to help when the time comes……….well the time is now and the three have no-choice but to accept their inflicted destiny whether they are ready for it or not!

Witty one liners and dry humour instantly grabbed my attention and built my interest in this story. Celeste and her siblings natural banter and sarcastic comments were realistic and made it easy for me to like them all. The superhero story was written in a more comic strip style and reminded me of the old batman TV series with the ‘bang’ & ‘crash’ written in star bubbles on screen! There was a light feel to it rather than a dark depressing seriousness making the whole read more fun and enjoyable.

It was definitely a book that I could have (if I wasn’t so busy!) read in one sitting, I didn’t want to put it down but sleep prevailed half way through forcing me to take two nights to complete! When I look at all the areas I consider when reviewing, this one ticks almost all the boxes. The plot is unique (to me) easy to read flowing prose, well edited, fully developed characters and natural sounding dialogue. Its fun it’s exciting and the pace is right for the story. I wasn’t quite living the book but it was for sure a page turner and I would highly recommend it to fans of the YA fantasy/paranormal genre.

I was a bit disappointed that the relationship between Celeste an Alec wasn’t concentrated on more, I would have enjoyed seeing more of them together but hopefully from the horrible cliff-hanger (which would have frustrated me more had I not been lucky enough to have an ARC copy of the sequel sat waiting on my kindle for me to begin reading tonight!) we will see it develop in book two, ‘Embrace’ which is due out this summer.

Copy Supplied for an ‘honest’ review. Thank you