janeanne

Jane's reviews

Dangerous Waters is combination of mystery, intrigue and romance. Jeanne; our main character, returns to her childhood home of Guernsey after the death of her grandmother. It’s difficult for her to revisit the place because her parents had died there in an ‘accident’ fifteen years ago, and this is the first time she has been back. It soon becomes clear that their death may have been murder and that now she has returned Jeanne’s life could also be in danger.

The descriptions coupled with the historical information of Guernsey gives me the impression that the author either, knows the area personally, or has spent a lot of time researching for this book. I sometimes found the ‘info dump’ was a little too excessive and slowed the pace in parts; especially in the beginning, but over all the story moved along steadily.

There is a glossary included to explain a few local words which was helpful and some interesting looking recipes that ‘if’ I enjoyed cooking, I would be sure to try out!… It was a nice touch considering our protagonist was writing a cook book!

Anne Allen has a relaxed writing style, and paid a lot of attention to detail both in description and plot depth. The story wasn’t totally predictable so the twists and turns, plus the back story were enough to keep the reader turning the pages to the very end.

Copy supplied for review