janeanne

Jane's reviews

A Patriotic Whore

A Patriotic Whore - Matthew Kadish

3.5 Stars

If I had read this book a month or six weeks ago I would have been like ‘Oh wow what a unique story line,’ but that was before I read I M Telling’s ‘The Slave Factory’ four maybe five books ago.

Granted the background story was different… in ‘The Slave Factory’ a group of people are recruited because of their lifestyle, to take part in a sex-training programme. Once completed they are auctioned off to the highest bidder to be their ‘sex-slave’ for one year, making enough money in that year to retire.

In ‘A Patriotic Whore’ a group of people are recruited because of their lifestyle, to take part in a sex-training programme. Once completed they then work undercover for the CIA. The similarities were astounding from the fact that both books had a married couple on the programme and the programme in both books had a training session on personal hygiene – weird! But can you see why it lost its uniqueness factor for me?

Anyway getting over my uncanny feeling of deja vu and away from the actual training programme (which was probably 90-95% of the book) the tiny bit of CIA work covered was quite interesting.

The book started with Blair, our MC, in a situation on a boat, she was clearly on the ‘job’ and I have to say that this section did involve a sex act that literally made me gag with its graphic description – shocking I know….well for those who know me! I have to be honest it is pretty unusual for me to be grossed out so kudos to Matthew Kadish for that! The story then jumps back to where this all began for Blair and how she was recruited and trained.

Now this didn’t come across as a serious read, it felt like it was written tongue in cheek. Some of the things in the training were so far fetched that if it had not had this feel about it I would have spent most of my time groaning out loud and would not have enjoyed it as much as I did.

The ending threw me completely something quite drastic had happened in Blair’s life between the last chapter and the epilogue, and maybe there is another book on the horizon… or maybe we will just be left hanging forever wondering why things went the way they did… I don’t know, either way it was unpredictable!

Copy supplied for review