janeanne

Jane's reviews

The Hunter, the Bear, and the Seventh Sister (World of Arcas)

The Hunter, the Bear, and the Seventh Sister  - B.I. Woolet The Hunter, the Bear, and the Seventh Sister (World of Arcas # 1) by B I Woolet

4 Stars

I received this book to review as part of the tour and while it was on my ‘to be read’ pile for a while, I often found myself skipping past it and moving to the next on my list, purely and simply because I was put off by the very long, child like title. The title does infact fit with the book perfectly, but the YA label does not so I have rated this book as a children’s novel and not a YA.

Thousands of years ago six kings, three from earth and three from Arcas, held sacred gems that when placed in special pillars opened passageways between the two worlds. When the earth filled with water the passageways had to be closed to save the people of Arcas. Gurges is now attempting to reopen them so he can travel to earth and steel weapons from the humans and rule Arcas himself, in order to do this he needs to connect a gem from Earth to a gem in Arcas. Earth stones can only be touched by humans, so it is Jackson’s task to remove all the gems from Earth to be sure the portals stay closed forever.

This is a very simply written story without much depth and is suitable for even very young children … if it is read to them, it isn’t that simply written!! For me it was just a little too young, and I found my mind wandering at times. Jackson wasn’t my favourite hero, he wasn’t as strong and fearless as the characters I normally enjoy reading about in fantasy/adventure novels, he often hid behind things or talked himself out of situations … better to be a live coward than a dead hero I suppose! But I just prefer larger than life characters with a bit of backbone and substance to them, Jackson was somewhat flat, and wimp like.

Most of the twists and turns in the story were predictable but I’m sure they were woven in well enough to keep younger readers in suspense and I would recommend this book to children from 6 years onwards.

Copy supplied for review